Vidaamericana Home PageStarting Your Business Home PageStarting Your Business IntroFinancing Your BusinessGet a Business LicenseAll About Business TaxesLabor Laws You Need to Know

How Do I:??

Business Taxes | Federal Employer Identification Number

Before filing state and federal taxes, each eligible new business must register for a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).

You need to get a FEIN if you:

  • have employees
  • have a qualified retirement plan
  • operate your business as a corporation or partnership


  • file returns for employment taxes, excise taxes, or alcohol, tobacco or firearms taxes

How to get an EIN: Fill out Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, and mail or fax to the IRS Service Center in your state (For Florida, the address is: IRS, Atlanta, Georgia 39901). See SS-4 instructions or the flyer "Understanding Your EIN" (in Adobe Acrobat format) for how to fill out form SS-4.

Or you can apply by phone ("TeleTIN") by calling 1-800-829-3676 or in Florida, 770-453-2360. See instructions "Understanding Your EIN" (in Adobe Acrobat format) for how to apply by phone.

When to Apply: Apply for the EIN at least 4-5 weeks before you need to file a a return or make a tax deposit. If you don't receive your EIN in time, dile the return anyway. Write "Applied for" and the date you applied for the number in the space for the EIN.

Start My Own Business?

Choose a Legal Structure for My Business?

Write a Business Plan?

Finance My Business?

Lease and Locate my Business?

Purchase Business Insurance?

Arrange my Suppliers?

Obtain My Employer ID Number?

Obtain a Business Licence and the Proper Permits?

Learn About Business Taxes?

Keep Business Records?

Advertise and Promote my Business?

Hire Personnel and Contractors?

Learn About Labor Laws?